Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I may be crazy...

...but even when it's hot I like a good rice pudding. Our favorite is really low mantainance, adapted from a recipe I found on Recipezaar (I do so love the 'zaar!)

Tonight I bit the bullet and baked it even in the heat. We had bought whole milk to make peach ice cream and, since we pay about $1.20 more to buy two gallons than one, I went ahead and bought 2 even though the girls and I pretty much only drink skim milk. (Jeff is quite happy to drink whole or 2%. I was not raised that way, lol.) I planned to use the extra for rice pudding so... Rice pudding it is. :D Plus, we all have colds; rice pudding goes down well on sore throats! (And it's almost nutritious!)

Here's my recipe, which you might want to save for cooler weather (unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere where it is winter right now.) Another thing I love is this recipe has no eggs. Lower cholesterol! (Plus no eggy taste! I'm really not usually a big egg fan.)

Simply Delicious Baked Rice Pudding

Note: the original recipe calls for short grain rice. I don't usually keep that around and, food prices being what they are, am not going to buy it when I'm not making something else that would use it (like risotto.) If you have it, it will give you a more creamy texture. We usualy use long-grain, which gives a texture more like Mexican arroz con leche, which I actually prefer, since I grew up on arroz con leche; my mom never made traditional rice pudding. This recipe doubles well; I make 2 batches since they're no more work than one; I can bake my two round Corningwares at once to make a double batch. Just rotate them when you do the second stirring and move the one that's more forward to the back and vice versa. Good hot or cold; also freezes well!

4 cups milk (not skim; whole is best but I've successfully used 2%)
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch salt
1/3 cup white rice (see note)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup seedless raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 300 deg. F. Spray a ceramic or glass oven-safe casserole (I like my round Corningware, as I've said) with an 8 cup capacity with non-stick cooking spray (or otherwise lightly grease.) In a saucepan, heat milk (covered) until it heats up and just begins to bubble around the edge. Turn off heat and add butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Mix well. Put rice in bottom of baking dish; add cinnamon and stir. Pour liquid ingredients on top and stir again. Add raisins, if desired. Place in oven and bake for 2 hours. Stir after first and second half hour; do not disturb for the last hour. Tempting as it is, let cool a bit before eating or you'll burn your mouth! 6-8 servings (depending on how much you like rice pudding!)

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

It sounds very tasty!

Anonymous said...

Ann - Your rice pudding recipe looks perfect. I'm teaching my son how to cook and we just made rice pudding together. It's a good one for kids to try - plus the results are a bit healthier than some desserts.
Kind Regards

Mean Mommy said...

Mmm. That does look good. And I'm not usually a rice pudding kind of girl.