Saturday, July 15, 2006

Disneyland

So we went to Disneyland with my in-laws.

Don't go to Disneyland with a two year old and an almost three month old.

My kids were angels, but it was so hot and they spent part of the day miserable, especially the baby. Emma loved the rides we took her on (especially It's A Small World, which I luckily do not have my mom's aversion to, as we had to go twice; actually, my mom has an aversion to Disneyland in general, I think it has to do with having four kids), but she was so so tired and the crowds drove her nuts. I think the Enchanted Tiki Room, the Jungle Cruise ("Hippo! Hippo!"), and Small World made up for the heat, crowds, noise, and bad stuff, but I'm not sure what she'll remember longer. And even a kids' peanut butter sandwich costs $10; I was grateful that my in-laws were paying, that's for sure.

Then there was the lady who stared at me indignantly while I was (very modestly, in my nursing top) nursing my baby. I noticed her glaring but ignored her. Finally she stomped over to me. "Can't you put a blanket over that or something?" By "that", I can only assume she meant my breastfeeding baby, since I had a triangle of skin about 1/2 a centimeter squared in area showing and that was it, and it was in a place that many girls and women on that hot day had completely exposed, and which this woman was not confronting them over. Anyway, it was 98 degrees and I needed lunch, so I was a little grumpy. "No," I replied, mimicing her indignant tone. "Well, I don't want to see that!" That was just the last straw. Everyone else around us was minding their own business, she was the only one staring at me. I can understand that some people are uncomfortable with public breastfeeding. They're entitled to their feelings. But they have no right to impose them on me, and there's a simple solution if they're made uncomfortable by watching me very, very modestly breastfeed, and I told her so. "So don't look," I told her. And I walked off.

On to happier things. There's a new ride at Disneyland called Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters or something to that effect. We did it twice, it was kinda fun, although I imagine that teenage boys and children aged 8 to 12 might enjoy it even more. You go through the ride and have a laser gun and a swivel control. You shoot at targets as you go through, so it's all interactive and kinda cool. At the end you can get a picture of yourself on the ride e-mailed to you for free (unlike Splash Mountain where they sell you your picture.) Here are some of us:







Overall, it was fun. I got to go off alone while the family watched the light show (fireworks were cancelled due to wind, and I am not a fan of light shows) and ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, my favorite ride, three times in a row. I literally walked on, walked off, walked right back on, and did it again. During the big light show is the only time you can do that (unless you're with a group that's bought out the park for the day.) I have some pics from the Star Trader gift shop of our faces digitally edited onto Star Wars characters, maybe I'll scan them later if I get a chance.

No comments: