Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ugh.

Maggie's been reacting to something. We're reasonably sure at this point it's soy. The store had ONE kind of soy-free bread today, and it was $3/loaf. For a small loaf. Ugh.

I think I'm going to have to get a breadmaker. (I Don't Do baking in the oven for anything more complicated than baking powder biscuits or a cake now and then. If it takes a rise, I don't bake it. Not from scratch anyway. We don't have room to rise anything!)

Anyone got recommendations for a compact, reasonably priced, well-performing, super-idiot-proof bread machine? I'm talking, "dump dry ingredients in. Dump wet ingredients in. Push no more than 2 buttons. Remove bread and eat it." That's what I need.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No breadmaker recommendations, unfortunately. I don't have one and I don't know what's out there. Plus I absolutely hate trying to work around the big hole that's left in the middle of the loaf by the mixer blades. But I've been wondering for myself and wanted to share with you as well - what about mixing and rising in the breadmaker and then transferring the dough to a regular pan for baking?

Anne/kq said...

I know lots of people do that but it's just too much work for me if I'm going to be making all our bread. I have a few good recs so far, I'll let you know what I decide on!

Lana said...

no advice, but I am glad to hear that Jeff got a job and to see you up and blogging again! Have a fun June

Mean Mommy said...

From what I've seen, I would recommend just getting the cheapest one you can get. Toastmaster is a good, solid brand, and you won't need any of the fancy settings or options.

Jen S. said...

I LOVE my bread machine! Let me go wander into the cabinet and take a peek at the brand name, cuz I don't remember..be right back...


OK, it's a "Sunbeam." Very simple, dump in wet ingredients, THEN dry. Comes with a nice little instruction book and several recipes. I find the "basic" setting works on just about any "normal" bread you would make in it.

Anne/kq said...

I ended up getting Osters. 2 of them. Very compact ones.